UW_BVSoP441ZptlAexCuE42zA8M

Welcome! I invite you to join me on this journey we call Life. It's crazy, fun, silly, sad, happy, loony, dull, exciting and everything in between

Monday, February 29, 2016

House-Autry Mills Hushpuppy Cornbread Review and Recipe



#SouthernCraftedGoodness #HouseAutryMills

Does your family have a food they love and could eat almost all the time? My husband loves cornbread and beans. He's a Southern boy that grew up on his Moma's and Grandma's home cooking. I rarely measure up to that!
My son likes spaghetti. He always liked it, but didn't ask for it a lot until I started making homemade sauce. Then he went to school with some leftovers and proceeded to tell his classmates he was having "the best spaghetti in the world" and they were missing out. :) 

Including cornbread and spaghetti, I have a few signature dishes that I make them. I try not to deviate much, lest they taste that extra sprinkle of spice or bit of something new. When I got the opportunity to review a product from House-Autry Mills, I had no idea what they would be sending. It ended up being Hushpuppy Mix with Onion. It's been ages since I made hushpuppies, but I wanted to something a little different than I was used to. I went out on a limb with my guys and made cornbread with it. I had never attempted anything like this before so I was quite nervous.

I found a recipe on the House-Autry Mills website and set about making it. Right away I ran into a little trouble. The recipe called for more of the hushpuppy mix than was in the box I was provided. :/ So I topped off that measurement with flour and hoped for the best. The recipe is very similar to regular cornbread. You can see the orginal Hushpuppy Cornbread recipe that is on the House-Autry Mills website.


And THIS is how I ended up doing it:

Hushpuppy Cornbread

1 C self rising flour
2 tbsp sugar 
1/2 tsp salt 
2 eggs, slightly beaten 
1/4 cup melted butter 
2 cups milk
1 Tbsp butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F.  In a large mixing bowl, stir together Hushpuppy Mix, flour, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, slightly whisk the eggs then add milk and 1/4 C melted butter and whisk together. When oven is preheated, add 1 Tablespoon of butter to cast iron skillet and place in heated over for 3 minutes, until butter is melted. While skillet is in the oven, combine the liquid mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just moist. Remove skillet from oven and tilt pan carefully to coat the surface with the melted butter. Pour the batter into the skillet and return it to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. 

* Mine rose up pretty thick and I needed to bake for a total of about 30 minutes to get the middle done.
#SouthernCraftedGoodness #HouseAutryMills


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


I made chicken breasts and blackeyed peas to go with the cornbread. Since I needed to form an opinion about the results, I broke my "no bread" rule and had a piece of cornbread with my dinner. I must say I REALLY liked the flavor of this! I was always a fan of hushpuppies so this was a cool twist on traditional cornbread. It was slightly crunchier on top while being light and fluffy inside. The flavor was wonderful. My guys were pleasantly surprised as well and weren't even upset over the deviation from what they are used to. :) The hushpuppy mix was very smooth and easy to work with. 

House-Autry Mills makes several other breading mixes as well as other products to help make meals something delicious and exciting. You can find all their products as well as recipes over on their website, House-Autry Mills.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Disclosure:  I received a product from House-Autry Mills for the purpose of review. The opinions expressed are 100% my own based on my usage of the product. You opinion and experience may differ.

No comments: