UW_BVSoP441ZptlAexCuE42zA8M

Welcome! I invite you to join me on this journey we call Life. It's crazy, fun, silly, sad, happy, loony, dull, exciting and everything in between

Friday, October 23, 2015

My Reminder to Remember My Blessings

I cried my way through a blog post today. I don't mean my eyes got misty. I mean real tears, rolling down my face to the point I had to stop to wipe my eyes before I could continue. I don't know why. Well I kind of do.. it was a bit of a sentimental morning. I had already seen something that got me weepy and then this story caught my eye. It was a brief update from Rory Feek about his wife Joey. I wasn't aware of their situation, but there was a link to his latest blog post, so I clicked over....

Within a few sentences the tears were rolling. I don't know these people. I don't listen to their music. Not because I don't like it, but simply because I hadn't heard of them. Until now. Maybe you know of them. Maybe you're a huge fan. Maybe not. I only know what I read today: that while pregnant with their daughter, they discovered Joey had cancer. She waited to start treatments so her daughter could live and be born healthy. It appears that as Joey started treatment, things looked promising and she felt good. But a day or so ago at a doctor appointment, they were told that despite the treatments, the cancer was growing. Fast. Apprently her body has stopped responding to the treatments. She decided to stop treatments and spend whatever time she has with her family. 

I was reminded today how utterly blessed I am. I'm like most people. I have some issues. But reading that post..... I just felt so deeply for these people and what they are going through. The immense decisions they have had to make recently and will have to make in the coming days and weeks. The tremendous bravery. I can not even imagine being in their shoes. It's the kind of thing you would never wish for anyone to face. I'm not particularly religious, but I found myself whispering a prayer for these people.  

All day since reading the post, my thoughts have drifted back over the years I have have had with my husband, the trials and triumphs we had together until finally, after 10 years of marriage we were able to have our son. I have been so blessed in so many ways it is mindblowing. I am so thankful! 

I can't imagine the nightmare situation the Feeks are facing every minute. They seem to be facing it with much more bravery and grace than I think I would. I think most people HOPE they can be stoic and brave in the face of crisis. I'm just not absolutely sure I could. I hope I would, but I can't say that I would with any degree of certainty. 

I hope that by some miracle, Joey gets well. I hope she get the miraculous happy ending that allows her to be here to hold that baby, watch her grow... right now the one thing I am certain of, is that reading about what they are facing, has made me stop to be grateful for the irreplaceble blessings I have in my life. I need to remember that every single day. 

No comments: