UW_BVSoP441ZptlAexCuE42zA8M

Welcome! I invite you to join me on this journey we call Life. It's crazy, fun, silly, sad, happy, loony, dull, exciting and everything in between

Saturday, February 28, 2015

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For Snow Ice Cream!


For most of my childhood I lived in places where once Winter made it's appearance, casting white snow all over everything, it hung around like an overextended house guest. It went on for months and months. I don't remember thinking much about it because I was used to it. And I was a kid. I had FUN in the snow!

Now I am older and I love my garden and growing things. I also live in a place where Winter means drab, cold, windy and wet, but not often does it include snow. After this drags on for a few months, it gets OLD in a hurry. I get Spring fever and I just can't wait to get outside and grow something!
Well, this year Mother Nature decided to throw us a little curve ball and dumped nearly 10 inches of snow on us! I know it doesn't even compare to what others have gotten, but for an area that rarely sees it fall, let alone stick and stay for more than a day, it is a pretty big deal. It was also so pretty! It's times like this when I am reminded that Winter does hold it's own beauty.
While I remember making tunnels, building igloos, having snowball fights and eating LOTS of snow, when I lived in place where we saw snow every Winter, I don't remember making snow ice cream. With all the snow that has been dumped on people in the North East, I have seen Snow Ice cream mentioned numerous times. So when we got our little pile of snow, I had to try this! It was so easy! And delicious!

I used this very simple recipe:

~ 1 cup of milk
~ 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
~ 1/2 cups sugar
~ CLEAN WHITE Snow

PREPARATION

Bundle up or better yet, let the kids bundle up and go outside to collect 4 - 5 cups of fresh, clean snow (nothing yellow... or any other colors! :) Don't pack the snow, just scoop it up. Bring it in the house and set it in the freezer while you combine the other ingredients.
Mix together the milk, vanilla, and the sugar. Stir the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the snow to the mixture slowly and stirring constantly, until it is as thick as ice cream. Once it is the consistency of regular ice cream, it is ready to eat and enjoy!
Now I have something else to look forward to the next time we get a good snow fall!

No comments: