UW_BVSoP441ZptlAexCuE42zA8M

Welcome! I invite you to join me on this journey we call Life. It's crazy, fun, silly, sad, happy, loony, dull, exciting and everything in between

Monday, August 18, 2014

Saving Eggshells for the Garden

 I save my eggshells and coffee grounds to add nutrients to the soil in my garden and in my potted plants. This is how I save them up to use in the Spring or as needed.
First I rinse them off and put them in a cup I keep next to the sink. I place them in the cup so they aren't nested together and trapping any water inside them. 

They air dry pretty quickly. Once dry, I usually drop them into a plastic grocery sack until the sack is at least half full. Once I have a supply of shells I get out a big bowl, a cleaned out milk jug, a can, a funnel and a screwdriver. I would normally use my large plastic bowl, but it is white and the shells are white sooooo......the blue glass bowl it is.
You could put the shells in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin, but I do it this way because eggshells are very sharp and quickly make holes in plastic bags. I prefer the bowl so I am not needlessly throwing away plastic bags.
 First I use the solid end of the can to crush the large pieces of shell.


The I flip the can over and use the open end to further crush the shells into smaller pieces




I use the top half of a rubbing alcohol bottle as a funnel. It has a larger opening than my kitchen funnels and fits into the top of the milk jug.

It also holds a can full of shells at a time.

I use my screw driver to stir the shells around a little so they go though the funnel quickly.


I store the shells in the milk jug until I am ready to use them in my garden. I store dried coffee grounds the same way. I normally store with the lids off, but as long as there is no moisture trapped inside, the lids can be put on to prevent spilling.

No comments: