UW_BVSoP441ZptlAexCuE42zA8M

Welcome! I invite you to join me on this journey we call Life. It's crazy, fun, silly, sad, happy, loony, dull, exciting and everything in between

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Reviews: Pine Brothers Softish Throat Drops

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.
I received this terrific pack of Pine Brothers  Softish Throat Drops to try. We have been very fortunate in our house this year and none of us has had a cold or the flu. However, the outside temperatures over the last month have swung wildly from Spring-like weather to single digits accompanied by snow, freezing rain, sleet and wind. Being subjected to such drastic changes and the dryness created by having the heat on has left me with a scratchy dry throat. The irritation is...well irritating! So these arrived just in time! Before now, I had not heard of Pine Brothers Throat Drops. They were not like the cough drops you might think of when this kind of product comes to mind. Over the course of the last week I have tried the different flavors I was sent. The first thing you'll notice is they are not hard as rocks, but also not as soft as a gummy bear so you don't feel like your eating your kid's candies. They are quite pleasant and since you don't chew them up, the soothing effect every time you swallow, lasts a long time.

 I tried the Wild Cherry flavor first. It is a smooth flavored cherry, not a harsh, eye-watering flavor. Since these are made with natural ingredients, there is no alcohol "burn". I noticed near instant relief from the dry, scratchy irritation I have been having. The irritation was calmed, the scratchy feeling that had made me feeling the urge to clear my throat was soothed. 

I next tried the Licorice. I happen to really like licorice so I liked theses drops. Licorice has a stout flavor all on it's own so there isn't a surprise with this flavor. It offered the same soothing relief but if you's not a fan of licorice, you might not like it for that alone. 

The Natural Honey drops are also very soothing without having an overly sweet taste. It's also a smooth flavor. I really liked that they are made with natural ingredients and don't leave a bad after taste like some products that contain artificial stuff. I also like that Pine Brothers are made right here in the USA.  


Here's a brief history of Pine Brothers:
Ulysses S. Grant was President, the population of America hovered at 39 million, and the telephone was still a pipe dream, when in 1870 J. Herman Pine hung out a confectionery shingle on 8th Street above Walnut in Philadelphia and, along with his brother, sold their first batch of what they called 'Pine Brothers Glycerine Tablets.' In an attempt to relieve his own sore throat and those of his family members, Mr. Pine, a former German confectionery maker, determined that by combining the soothing natural qualities of glycerin with the healing properties of gum acacia, he could sooth and mitigate the mild discomfort of a sore throat. Add in some natural flavoring and a sweetener and voila, Pine Brothers Softish Throat Drops were born. "I have discovered something," Pine wrote, "which will give quick throat relief to thousands afflicted as I was." He added,"Perhaps I won't make much money out of this. But I can make people happy, and that's more important than money." Mr. Pine was being unduly modest, as his "discovery" would become one of the most successful, most delicious and most unique throat lozenges in the world. Nor has the recipe changed appreciably since it was first introduced to the public over 140 years ago.

In 1930 Pine Brothers was sold to the Life Savers Company and continued to flourish. Known for its 'soft drop consistency,' Pine Brothers lozenges became a favorite of adults and children alike. The product, which attracted healthiest sales in the eastern and northern states, due to its icy winters, reached its peak popularity in the 1970's. The company was sold by Life Savers, and then, having been re-sold and acquired a number of times, found itself essentially rudderless and under appreciated; this despite a legion of loyal customers. Cost cutting changes were made to the original recipes, packaging became stale and marketing non-existent; Pine Brothers began to be made overseas. Sales declined.

Recently, Pine Brothers was acquired by the creator and former owner of Airborne, Victoria Knight-McDowell, for her new company 3 Sisters Home Products™. Much time and effort has been spent locating the original Pine Brothers recipes, redesigning the packaging, and creating an exciting yet classic new look. The natural product is once again being made in America, and re-launched nationally in fall 2011.


No matter which flavor you choose, you'll like the fast relief that comes from the natural ingredients.
Check them out, buy online or find locations where they are sold by visiting the Pine Brothers website,
Their Facebook page
Follow them on Twitter
or on Pinterest

~~~*~~*~*~*~~*~~~

How has your family fared this winter? Have you had colds or flu knocking you out of commission?

Disclosure:I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. The opinions express are soley my own and may differ from yours. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments: