Another burned out bulb ornament! I just finished this one and I love it!
I painted this huge light bulb white some time back, but then couldn't decide what to do about the top of the bulb.... I got side-tracked and distracted into other crafts and chores and it got set aside. I picked it up again the other day and things just started clicking. This is what I started with:
First, I knit him a hat.
Then I started playing with materials for a face.... I have some real pieces of coal, but they didn't look right.. I have some clear decorative stones with the flat backs. I painted some for eyes and a mouth, but once they were dry and I tried them out, my snowman looked very creepy!
I went hunting in my craft baskets for something else and found a tube of buttons. Perfect!
I had a wooden bead with a flat back that look great for a nose. I used some acrylic paint to paint it orange. I had an idea to use wire to make a coiled hanger for this ornament, but it looked a little strange.... I braided three strands of the same color burgundy yarn that I used in the hat, knotted it at each end, leaving about two inches of yarn below the knots. I threaded the ends through the holes in the hat and used my trusty E6000 to glue those 6 strands to the silver part of my bulb.
Once I had the hat in place and could see how far down in the bulb it would sit, I used the E6000 to attach the bead and buttons buttons and let those dry. At the last minute, I brushed on some iridescent glitter paint to give him some sparkle.